Tuesday, April 9, 2013

La boda perfecta

I've always liked the idea of dessert drinks, but I've always felt that the typical vodka "chocolate martini" was too easy.  This isn't the first time I've tried to expand on the formula (see: Lady Godiva's Stand).  I've also always liked the idea of showpieces and talking points.  For ages I've wanted to do a cocktail with really high-end ingredients, and I was thrilled to finally have the chance with the new bar I'm managing for.  The new bar is tequila-centric, so I'm learning quite a lot of new things, and loving the chance to expand my knowledge base.  

The inspirations behind this cocktail were multiple.  First, the 70th anniversary expression from Don Julio has some really nice notes of chocolate in it; second, Anejo tequilas are often compared to aged brandies and Cognacs:  all are wonderful for after-dinner sipping and tend to have some similar flavor profiles.  The price tag on this cocktail is more than double my other listings on our menu, but with about $200 worth of bottles of liquor used in the cocktail it's quite a wonderful opportunity to try something new.  I hear so many people talk about what a crime it is to use really fine ingredients to mix with others in cocktails, but I feel just the opposite:  truly wonderful ingredients can create an absolutely transcendental cocktail experience...and that's something I tried to convey with this one.
 

La boda perfecta

 
 Glass:  Brandy snifter
Method: Shake and Strain
Garnish:  Mexican chocolate and cinnamon

Build:
1.25 oz Don Julio 70 Anejo Claro
.75 oz Grand Marnier Cuvee du Centenaire
.5 oz Godiva dark chocolate liqueur
1 generous dash Bitter Truth's Xocolatl Mole bitters
.25 oz Rich simple syrup
2 oz Heavy cream 

Shake all ingredients well with ice and strain into a brandy snifter. 
Garnish with a light grating of Mexican chocolate and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment