Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lady Godiva's Stand

With Valentine's Day creeping around the corner I've decided to work on a list of special drinks for Valentine's weekend.  Given that Valentine's is typically a chocolate sort of day, I couldn't resist using one of my guilty pleasure liqueurs for the occasion:  Godiva Chocolate (chocolate chocolate...not white chocolate.  Ew, white chocolate).  

I wanted to do something similar to (but not) your run-of-the-mill chocolate martini, so it was clear from the start that I absolutely Was. Not. going to use vodka in this one.  Cognac seemed like a natural choice--the sweetness and flavors would work beautifully together.  This past summer at Tales of the Cocktail, I was introduced to a lovely product called Meukow Vanilla cognac.  As a result, when I was choosing my bar, instead of Korbel or Christian Bros. brandy I chose to use Meukow VS as my go-to brandy/cognac.  The Meukow turned out to be the perfect choice for this cocktail.

Lady Godiva's Stand
Glass:   Large cocktail glass (in the 9-10oz range)
Method:  Shake and strain
Garnish:  Fresh grating of chocolate on surface


.75 oz Meukow VS cognac
.75 oz  Godiva (regular) Chocolate liqueur
.5 oz     DiSaronno Amaretto liqueur
.25 oz   Simple syrup
3 oz      Heavy cream


Shake with ice and strain into a large cocktail glass.  Grate Godiva dark chocolate over the top to garnish (Tip: keep the chocolate bar frozen until ready to use.  This will make for easier grating).


On Naming:  The legend of Lady Godiva's infamous ride to protest her husband's taxation was the base for this name.  I wanted to use "Godiva" in the name since it is such a recognizable brand around Valentine's (and it's in the drink, of course!), but I also really wanted to pay homage to the legend of the woman.  Like Lady Godiva, this is a lovely drink with a bit of backbone to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment