Monday, January 10, 2011

Spellbound

I thought to myself, why not start this blog with what I consider my signature cocktail?  To start, I must warn you that I'm one of those people you can't tell "not" to do something...because I'll probably go right ahead and try to make it work.  This recipe is a perfect example of that.  How, you might ask?  I shake a carbonated soda in with the other ingredients.  shhhh! *grins*  While this is not exactly a widely-encouraged practice, sometimes compromising the integrity of the bubbles/carbonation is EXACTLY what you want to do with a mixer (beer cocktails tend to be another example of where this is a reasonably acceptable practice).  I consider this my signature because every single element of the drink screams "That's so Lindsay!"--just ask my husband.  This one is a little summery, but still has enough substance to make it drinkable any time of the year, and it uses an ingredient you don't really find behind the bar--which I always love the idea of.

The inspiration for this cocktail was actually a creation at one of our favorite dinner places last summer: Sung Korean Bistro on 7th and Elm.  They tend to have some lovely and imaginative bar selections (and a fantastic Pimm's Cup in the summer!  Right now you need to go in and try their Hibiscus Garden cocktail...trust me).  Their version used muddled strawberry, balsamic syrup, and some type of vodka.  I loved the base idea (who doesn't love strawberries marinated in balsamic vinegar?), but I am not a vodka fan (to put it mildly), so I was inspired to come up with a different take on the same theme.

First...I'm a gin girl at heart.  I've particularly loved and promoted Hendricks passionately since I was introduced by a former manager of mine about six years ago (Thank you, Josh, if you ever read this!)--and I've even converted non-gin drinkers to loving it.  Sadly, I didn't think Hendricks would be the proper gin for this job.  I needed something with a little more oomph to hold its own against the balsamic syrup, but nothing with too much juniper.  This thought led me to Tanqueray No. 10 (not my favorite, but just what was needed for this!).  From there...well...here's the final recipe:

Spellbound
Glass:  Large cocktail (in the 9-10oz range)
Method: Shake and double strain
Garnish: Unnecessary, but a thin slice of strawberry or a leaf of basil floating are quite lovely

Muddle in mixing glass:
1 strawberry, cored and quartered
3 average-sized basil leaves
1 tsp balsamic syrup
.33 oz simple syrup (I use a 2:1 sugar:water ratio in mine, you may need to finagle if yours is different)

Add:
2 oz Tanqueray No. 10 gin
2 lime wedges (squeeze and discard)
2 oz ginger ale (I prefer using Canada Dry, nice and not overwhelming)

Shake (yes, even the ginger ale...flattening it a bit through shaking gives a more balanced and even flavor to the cocktail) with ice and double-strain into a large cocktail glass.  Garnish, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment