Tuesday, April 23, 2013

MxMo LXXII: Drink Your Veggies

Hello again!  Long time no see (again).  I'm in the midst of a new bar opening, so I've been quite on the "not around" side of things.  The new bar opening, however, is the perfect excuse to participate in this month's Mixology MondayDrink Your Veggies!  As Rowan at Fogged in Lounge described, "Want to get more vegetables but you’re always eating on the run? Maybe you hate vegetables but feel you should get more of them? Well then, how about a vegetable cocktail?

This recipe comes straight from the new place: Barrio Tequileria in the Northside area of Cincinnati.  Come in and let me and my (really incredibly awesome) bartenders feed you tequila and tacos and sangrita!  Okay...end advertising *grins*

Sangrita is a traditional sipper alongside tequila.  I think the best ones are a little bit sweet, a little bit savory, and a little bit spicy.  I've found some sources that say "traditional" sangrita doesn't use tomato juice, but I've also read about bars in Mexico that do use tomato juice in theirs, so...I just followed my own instincts for this recipe.  I know that tomatoes and peppers are really officially fruits, but we do typically consider them vegetables, so...details details, right?

Sampling sangritas before our opening; el Arco Blanco tequila featured


Barrio Tequileria's Housemade Sangrita

1/4 cup Cilantro
1 cup Tomato juice
1/4 cup Orange juice
1/4 cup Lime juice
2 T Pomegranate grenadine
2 T Goya Chipotle Salsita
1/4 tsp Powdered ancho
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 Serrano pepper, sliced (including seeds)

Personally, I put the cilantro in first, then add the tomato juice and muddle the cilantro a little bit.  I add the pepper last, and let it infuse for about five minutes (just for a little extra heat--I like my sangrita a touch on the spicy side) before I strain everything out.  Pour a shot of the sangrita and a shot of blanco tequila, and enjoy!

I use fresh juices and a standard recipe for my grenadine (1:1 POM juice and sugar).  I like to think I did a pretty decent job with it, and just the other day a lady from Mexico complimented me on how authentic my sangrita was, and asked where I got the recipe, so...hooray :-D      

1 comment:

  1. The treatment of alcoholism and alcohol varies from one alcoholic to another according to the amount of addiction to alcohol and wine as the alcohol substance found in beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages (Kalowski and vodka) affect the chemical activity of the brain addicted to alcohol

    ReplyDelete