Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Herbal Summer Lemonade

This lemonade recipe is actually not one of my own.  Someone I know tried it last spring at a food show up in Cleveland, and I had a lot of fun adding an alcoholic twist to it.  I haven't attempted to figure out the ratios of liquor to make a large batch, but it's delicious with or without, and leaving it non-alcoholic makes it appropriate for gatherings with kids, too.


To make the lemonade
Yield:  About 2.5 gallons

Build:
24 oz Fresh squeezed lemon juice
24 oz POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
4 cups sugar*
144 oz Cold water

Add:
4 oz Fresh Dill
4 oz Fresh Mint
4 oz Fresh Basil
2 oz Fresh Rosemary 

Let steep to desired strength**.

* I've discovered that dissolving the sugar in the lemon and pomegranate juices before adding the water seems to work best to dissolve it as entirely as possible.  After that, I add the water, stir to blend, and add the herbs.

** Personally, I think about 24 hours is perfect, though you can generally start serving it after just a few hours of steeping, and you're not going to want the herbs in there much past a day and a half or so.

Alcoholic Version:
Method: Build
Glassware: 10oz Collins
Garnish: Edible orchid bloom

Ingredients:
1 oz Hendricks gin
.5 oz St-Germain elderflower liqueur

Add ice, fill with steeped herbal lemonade, and garnish.   

No comments:

Post a Comment