Friday, April 20, 2012

Playing with the Classics: Aperol 75

One key thing those of us who create cocktails like to tell new bartenders who are just starting to learn how to mix is to start with the classics and modify.  Classics are classic for a reason, of course, and it's a great way to get a feel for ratios and balance.  One of my personal favorite classics is the French 75.  In preparation for Mother's Day brunch at work, I thought I'd work out some potential cocktails to feature, and anything with sparkling wine is a natural choice.

Since I work at an Italian restaurant I've been using that as an excuse to familiarize myself with Italian liqueurs/amaros/etc. that I've never had much reason to learn before.  Aperol, though an amaro, is pretty tame and I thought it might have great potential to introduce to people who might otherwise be frightened of something new.  The best way to introduce people to something new?  Blend it with something old and familiar...in my case, the lovely French 75.
  
 Pretty, no?  The cocktail glass was actually a lovely gift from 
one of my sisters-in-law and her husband for Christmas :-)

Aperol 75
Glassware:  Large cocktail glass or large champagne flute
Garnish:  Lemon twist
Method:  Shake and Strain

Ingredients:
1 oz Plymouth gin
.5 oz Aperol
1.5 oz Fresh lemon juice
.75 oz Rich simple syrup

Shake with ice and strain into glass.  Top with prosecco (about three ounces) and garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment