Friday, March 30, 2012

Tiki! Kiwi Mango Colada

So I recently met the blogger of The Pegu Blog, Doug, at the Don Q competition in Columbus this past weekend.  Looking at his blog reminded me that I sadly missed the February MxMo: Tiki! roundup.  I've not been super into Tiki previously, but last summer I had a bit of fun exploring, and while I'm spending way too much time in front of my computer with a broken ankle I thought I'd pour through some old photos and post recipes I hadn't yet had a chance to.  With the glorious temperatures around here lately, and my sadness at missing out on that last MxMo, I felt this entry quite apropos.

A bit of a sidetrack for a moment:  this recipe is, I suppose, officially a Swizzle.  It uses crushed ice and  a baton lele to froth and mix everything together.  My baton lele is a plastic tool that I procured as a giveaway at Tales two summers ago from St. Croix rum.  It is sadly missing a leg (this is what I get for taking my tools into work...ha).  They are IMPOSSIBLE to find.  If you happen to know where I can procure a wooden or metal one, I would be terribly indebted to you...or even if you're from St. Croix rum and could send a few of the plastic ones my way ;-)  I have attached a link to an excellent description of how to swizzle from Summit Sips in my recipe.



Kiwi-Mango Colada
Glassware:  I used a pint glass. It's tiki...there are many awesome options.
Garnish:  Cherry/Pineapple/Orange on a pick. Pineapple leaf to finish.
Method:  Muddle and Swizzle (crushed ice and baton lele)

Ingredients:
Muddle:
2 chunks Fresh Mango
1 slice Fresh Kiwi
6 chunks Fresh Pineapple
1 oz Coco Real (my preference for creamy coconut goodness)

Add:
.75 oz Gosling's Black Seal rum
.75 oz Cruzan Coconut rum
1 oz Pineapple juice

Swizzle to mix, add crushed ice, and then swizzle to dilute and chill.  Top with more crushed ice and garnish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment