Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wine and margarita...together?

I've been seeing a lot about beer cocktails around the internet lately, and I was going to post about the one currently on our menu next, but a lovely group of ladies who enjoyed this drink absolutely insisted last night that this be my next entry...so here you are!  The Southern Magic will just have to wait a little while longer.

We had a gentleman and his wife sit at a table last night, and the gentleman asked his server if we could make a margarita using jalapenos.  We have jalapenos, so...of course!  I went over to say hi and get a little more info before I started mixing.  He told me about a margarita he had in New York that used fresh jalapeno and Sauvignon Blanc, and wondered if I could bring those flavors in (P.S.  If you happen to know the margarita and the place he was channeling in NYC, I'd love to hear!).  My favorite part was that our Sauvignon Blanc is a Fume Blanc, so I got to bring in a touch of the smokiness that our restaurant centers around.  I got his tequila preference, and went from there.  I liked the result so much that I plan on fiddling with it a little bit (primarily the glass rimming--I just used our house-smoked hickory salt last night) and using this on our summer menu.



Don Diablo
Glass:  Collins/Highball
Method: Muddle/Shake and Strain
Garnish: Hickory smoked salt rim, lime and orange slice

Muddle:
3 slices fresh jalapeno (seeds and all)
.75 oz Agave nectar
Tiny dash simple syrup (seriously...like only a few heavy drops)

Add to mixing glass:
1.25 oz  Don Julio Reposado
.5 oz   Cointreau
.5 oz  Dry Creek Fume Blanc
2 oz   Fresh lime juice

Shake with ice and strain into a salted Collins glass over ice.  You could do this one up in a large martini glass, too (which is the version I'll end up putting on our menu).  Again, I was going with his preferences when I made this.

No comments:

Post a Comment